Sunday, August 4, 2024

Thy Work Alone, O Christ

Not what my hands have done can save my guilty soul;
Not what my toiling flesh has borne can make my spirit whole.
Not what I feel or do can give me peace with God;
Not all my prayers, and sighs and tears can bear my awful load.

Thy work alone, O Christ, can ease this weight of sin
Thy blood alone O Lamb of God, can give me peace within.
Thy love to me O God, not mine, 
O Lord, to Thee can rid me of this dark unrest, and set my spirit free!

Thy grace alone, O God, to me can pardon speak;
Thy power alone O Son of God, can this sore bondage break.
No other work, save Thine, no other blood will do,
No strength save that, which is divine, can bear me safely through.

I bless the Christ of God; I rest on love divine;
And with unfaltering lip and heart, I call this Savior mine.
His cross dispels each doubt, I bury in His tomb
My unbelief, and all my fear, each lingering shade of gloom.

I praise the God of grace, I trust His truth and might
He calls me His, I call Him mine, My God, my joy, my light
Tis He Who saveth me, and freely pardon gives
I love because He loveth me, I live because He lives!

Not What My Hands Have Done, Horatius Bonar

No comments: