Friday, April 30, 2021

An Argument For The Trustworthiness Of The New Testament

          One factor that supports the integrity of the New Testament is that its authors distinguished between the words of Christ and their own words. That means they did not just attribute random sayings to Him. Examples to illustrate this point are cited as follows:

          "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ (Acts 20:35)

          "Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her." (1 Corinthians 7:10-12)

          "Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)

          It can reasonably be inferred from the above excerpts that the earliest disciples of Jesus Christ reported history honestly. They took care to preserve the words of their Master. Details were not simply invented to support theological agendas. This factor increases the likelihood that the gospels faithfully and accurately recorded the teachings of Jesus.

No comments: